The 1st/12th Leamington Scout Group, composed of groups from All Saints, Holy Trinity and Radford Road Churches, is celebrating both a centenary and a 70th anniversary during 2010. It is 100 years since the 1st Leamington Scout Group was formed at All Saints and 70 years since the 12th Leamington Scout Group was formed at Holy Trinity. At present there are nearly 100 youngsters connected with the Group.
Earlier in the year a Centenary Group Camp was held in the New Forest during which a visit was made to Brownsea lsland, the site of the very first Scout camp organised by Baden Powell in 1907.
On November 6th a special service was held at All Saints’ Church, Leamington Spa to commemorate this special year. Members of the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers gathered with past members of the group, parents and friends for the service. The Rev. Christopher Wilson, Vicar of All Saints, led the service and spoke of the need to “Be Prepared” physically, mentally and spiritually; two members of the congregation spoke of their memories of the Group and present Group members gave Bible reading, prayers and all renewed their Scout Promises.
Refreshments were served at the end of the service during which many people renewed friendships and reminisced about their Scouting experiences.